Betty’s Shrimp Fried Rice
Recipe by Desirée 'Blackstone Betty’ Dukes
- 4 cup White Rice
- 1 lb Shrimp, wild caught
- 3-4 Eggs
- 1 cup fresh Snow Peas, cut into thirds
- 1 large Onion, chopped (white or yellow)
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch Green Onions, sliced separated green/whites
- Wok or stir fry oil
- 2 tbsp Butter, unsalted
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar (toasted sesame)
- Sesame Oil
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
Spicy Mayo Sauce:
- ½ cup Mayo, Kewpie preferred
- ¼-½ cup Sriracha (depending on level of heat)
- 1.5 tbsp Sesame Oil
- Cook rice (in a rice cooker preferred) with 1 tsp each low sodium and regular soy sauce. Spread rice on a baking sheet to cook then place in the fridge uncovered overnight until ready to cook or at least 4 hours to dry out.
- On medium to medium high heat add a drizzle of wok oil (about 1 tbsp) and spread out over the Blackstone and add the eggs. Break the yolks and lightly scramble eggs to cook about 1 minute then slide them to the side on low to no heat.
- Add another drizzle of wok oil and add the chopped onions, snow peas, garlic and sliced white onions to cook 3-4 minutes, constantly tossing vegetables with two spatulas. Then slide vegetables to the low or off side with the eggs.
- Add a drizzle of wok oil and 1 tbsp butter to melt together then add the shrimp. Tossing to cook. If shrimp are large cut shrimp to bite sized pieces as they cook, about 3-4 minutes. Slide them to the side as well.
- Drizzle some wok oil 1 tbsp of butter and add the rice. Using a scraper and spatula toss rice to coat in oil and butter break apart any clumps of rice.