Black Bean Triangle Bites
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 1 can black beans or 2 cups cooked black beans
- ¾ cup corn
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Over low heat, sauté the minced onion and garlic in about 2 tablespoons of oil on the griddle until translucent.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon to the onion mixture and cook for 2 minutes to allow the flavors to bloom. Add the corn and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently to blend the flavors.
- Set aside to cool in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- If using canned beans, rinse the beans and drain, removing as much liquid as possible.
- Combine the beans with the corn and onion mixture.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together the egg with 1 tablespoon cold water.
- Assemble the bites by laying a wonton wrapper on a dry work surface.
- Arrange the wrapper with a point at the top. This will make for easier assembly.
- Use a pastry brush or even your finger to paint a light coating of egg wash on the left and right side of the wrapper. Start at one of the corners and cover the outer ½ inch of the wrapper with egg wash on the top half of the wrapper. Repeat with the other corner.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of filling on the bottom third of the wrapper above the lower point.
- Fold from the bottom up making a triangle. Make sure no filling touches the outermost ½ inch of the triangle.
- Use your finger to completely seal the top and bottom of the wrapper together. Optionally, you can also crimp the edges of the wrapper for a decorative seal.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400F.
- Lightly skim-coat both sides of the triangles in oil to promote browning.
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and warm throughout flipping at least once.
- Serve warm.
This savory snack packs loads of flavor into every bite. Each of the bite-sized triangles has a balance of sweet from the corn and a tiny bit of heat from the chili powder. Although delicious served hot, these Black Bean Triangle Bites can be made ahead of time and served cool at a picnic or tailgating.