Chicken Green Chile Empanadas
Recipe by CJ Frazier
- Chicken Cutlets
- 1/2 Can of Black Beans (Rinsed)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Diced
- Puff Pastry (1 Sheet)
- 1/2 Can of Rotel
- 1 small can diced Green Chile
- 1 Lime
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese (Mexican Blend)
- Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 Tbs Blackstone Hatch Chile Cheddar Seasoning
- 1 tsp Tequila Lime Blackstone Seasoning
- 1 Egg
- Salsa Verde
- All Purpose flower
- Blackstone Egg Ring
- Blackstone Griddle and Seasoning Spray
- Pre Heat your Blackstone Air-fryer to medium Low and your griddle top with two burners on low and the other two off.
- Add some olive oil to the griddle and place your chicken cutlets in the oil. Right next to the chicken add your diced yellow onion. The onions will slowly caramelize being tossed occasionally. As well as your chicken flipped. The chicken will need roughly 4-5 mins per side or until fully cooked.
- On a cutting board add a little all purpose flower, this will help keep the pastry from sticking, and set your puff pastry on top of to cut out with your Blackstone egg ring. The egg ring is a perfect size to cut out the puff pastry for smaller empanadas. You’ll find that you. Can get 4 pieces cut from the puff pastry as is. Once you get 4 cut out you can knead the remains dough, roll it out and cut one or two more.
- Your chicken cutlets should be done now. Turn off your griddle top, pull the chicken off and dice the chicken to small bit size pieces. Now lets place the diced chicken back on the griddle and add your other ingredients. 1/2 can of Rotel, 1 small can of diced green chiles, 1/2 can of rinsed black beans, 1/2 cup of shredded Mexican blend cheese, 1 tbs of Blackstone Hatch Chile and cheddar seasoning, 1 tsp Tequila lime Blackstone Seasoning, a pinch of salt and pepper and toss together. The residual heat form your Blackstone will heat the ingredients and melt the cheese. Once it’s warned up add all your ingredients to a large bowl.
- Now let’s assemble to empanadas. In a small bowl add one egg and beat. This will be what binds our empanadas in the air fryer. Lay out your pastry circles on the same cutting board from earlier and lightly pull and stretch them out. Not much, just enough to stretch them out a bit. Grab a slice of pepper jack cheese and cut it into small pieces. Add one of those pieces of cheese on top of the puff pastry, a small spoon full of your chicken filling ( DONOT OVER FILL) You don’t want the filling to get to close to the edge. Now using your egg just brush a light amount around the edge, fold the puff pastry over your ingredients and press the pastry along the edge with your fingers. Once you think that’s sealed up grab a fork and press the fork along the entire edge of the pastry. This will ensure the all your ingredients are sealed thoroughly inside and create a stunning presentation for the cooked empanada.
- In your pre heated air fryer basket spray some of the Blackstone Griddle spray on each tray. As well as both sides of your completed empanada. Place 2-3 in each basket leaving space between each one to cook. Place the baskets back in and cook for 3-4 mins, pull the basket out and flip the empanadas and cook for another 3-4 mins or until golden brown.
- Remove the empanadas from the air fryer baskets, plate up with some chopped cilantro on top as well as a light post dusting of both the Hatch Chile and Cheddar and Tequila Lime Seasonings. Serve a small bowl of salsa verde and enjoy