- May 29, 2020
Crispy Salmon Belly Salad with Honey Soy Glazed Shiitakes and Arugula
- 1 pound salmon belly
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat one side of your griddle to medium-high heat and leave the other side off. Add a bit of olive oil and the mushrooms to the hot side of the griddle. Toss and cook for 3-4 minutes then move the mushrooms to the cool side of the griddle.
- Increase the hot side of your griddle to High heat.
- Season the salmon belly with a bit of salt & pepper and garlic powder. Sear for 2 minutes per side or until the fish is crisp and golden.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey, soy sauce and sesame oil. Pour over the mushrooms and toss to evenly incorporate.
- In a mixing bowl, add the arugula, lemon juice, a pinch of pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Toss gently to evenly coat the arugula.
- Once the fish is 90% finished, slide the mushrooms back over to the high heat side of your griddle and toss to caramelize the honey and soy sauce (about 1 minute).
- To plate, add some of the mushrooms to the center of your plate and then a loosely packed handful of the arugula. Slice the fish into strips and add few over the top of the arugula. Garnish with cracked black pepper or sesame seeds.
Recipe by Nathan Lippy