Recipe by Desiree 'BlackstoneBetty' Dukes
- 1 loaf crusty sour dough bread
- 1 wedge gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 lb ham, tavern, black forest, or your favorite
- 1/4 lb baby swiss cheese
- 1/4 lb muenster cheese
- Dijon mustard
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- black pepper
- Slice loaf of bread into 1/2-1 inch thick slices and begin assembling sandwiches by spreading Dijon mustard on the inside of each slice of bread and layer muenster cheese, ham, gruyere cheese, ham, baby swiss cheese. You want your cheese against the bread as well as in the center, the cheese is the glue to holding our sandwich together. Set aside.
- Heat a small pot directly on the Blackstone surface or on the Blackstone side burner using low heat. Add the butter to slowly melt then whisk in the flour. Continue whisking until golden brown and fragrant and then slowly whisk in the milk a 1/4 cup at a time. Sauce will thicken as it cooks. Season with nutmeg and black pepper.
- On low to medium low heat spread butter over Blackstone surface and add sandwiches to toast up until golden brown on both sides. Low and slow is key so that the cheeses inside heat and melt through.
- Cook sunny side up eggs just before the sandwiches are done.
- Assemble sandwiches by plating. Top each sandwich with béchamel sauce, grated gruyere cheese, and a sunny side up egg.
- Enjoy with a fork and knife!