- Oct 06, 2022
Feed 4 for $20 Tornado Bacon Fried Rice Omelette (Omurice)
Tornado Bacon Fried Rice Omelette (Omurice)
Recipe by Leland Goodman - 2022 Great Griddle Off Contestant
Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups Cal Rose Rice
- 1-2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- Seaweed paper, to garnish
- Chopped green onions, to garnish
- Tuxedo sesame seeds, to garnish
- Sriracha ketchup, to serve
- Tamari soy sauce, to serve
- Wasabi paste, to serve
- Ginger juice (a dash)
- Kewpie mayo
- Sesame Oil
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 stick butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs, 2 per tornado
- Olive Oil, for the griddle
Unique cooking utensils needed:
- 8” Non stick fry pan
- Small bowl or Omurice Omelette mold (round not oval for this recipe)
- Make the Wasabi Mayo: Mix wasabi paste, ginger juice, kewpie mayo, a dash of sesame oil a bit of water to thin it out. Put in a sauce bottle and set aside.
- Make the Spicy Mayo: Mix sriracha and kewpie 1-1 ratio and add a dash of sesame oil. Put in a sauce bottle and set aside.
- Make the Soy Sauce Sriracha Ketchup: Mix 1.5 cups of sriracha ketchup with tamari soy sauce to taste and add water to slightly thin. Leave in a small beatable pot.
- Cook Cal Rose Rice (3 cups) in a rice cooker by adding water at a 1-2 ratio, rice to water. Set aside.
- Dice onion and add peas and carrots with chicken stock in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare serving bowls with fanned out seaweed paper and then set aside.
- Put griddle heat to medium high, cook bacon, cook peas, carrots, onions and chicken stock.
- Once those are 90% cooked, add your rice, olive oil, and butter. Cook and mix all together on griddle and salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before pulling, add you Soy Sauce Sriracha Ketchup mixture about 3/4 to 1 cup of it. (Reserve some to top eggs with) Mix up rice to distribute sauce evenly.
- Pack your Omurice: Omelette mold or bowl that you’re using to make a rice mold.
- Flip over and add to your serving bowl with your seaweed paper then set aside.
- Making your Tornado Omelette: Take two eggs and beat till you see bubbles forming in bowl. Pour eggs in a well oiled preheated 8” non stick fry pan. Once eggs start to show they are cooking on the edges, take a pair of chopsticks and put on opposite ends of the pan and pull the egg in on both sides making a ”bow tie” shape with your egg. Then hold the chopsticks together with one hand and use the other to rotate the pan around in a circle while you keep the chopsticks still. This will create the “tornado” twist with the eggs. Once eggs are cooked twist chopsticks while in place to make sure they don’t stick to the egg when you go to plate.
- Slowly take egg and chopsticks while in the pan and lay egg over the top of your rice ball.
- Garnishing: Take your warm (not hot but warm and semi thick) Soy Sauce Sriracha Ketchup and spoon some over the tornado egg. Use the back of your spoon to smooth around and help highlight the twisted ridges from the egg.
- Drizzle the Wasabi Mayo and swirl around in the same direction as the omelette twist.
- Add the Spicy Mayo and swirl around in the same direction as the omelette twist.
- Sprinkle the tuxedo sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
- Dig in!