Mozzarella en Carrozza
Recipe by Desiree "BlackstoneBetty" Dukes
- 3 slices white bread
- 4-5 thick slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs with pecorino romano
- 1 cup marinara sauce, Rao preferred
- fresh basil
- Stack three slices of bread with fresh mozzarella like you would a club sandwich. slice crust off all four sides. set aside.
- In two seperate shallow bowls or dishes, beat together egg and milk in one and pour breadcrumbs into another. (add some fresh grated pecorino cheese if desired or if you have breadcrumbs without cheese added)
- Set Blackstone to preheat to medium low.
- Carefully and quickly dredge, without soaking, each side of your stacked sandwich into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumbs to coat completely.
- Drizzle enough olive oil to place sandwich into and let cook low and slow (as to not burn and allow time for the cheese inside to melt through) until golden brown. lower heat if needed.
- Using tongs turn sandwich onto each side to cook adding a drizzle of oil under as needed to fry until each side is done.
- Place sandwich cut in half or in fours on a bed of warm marinara sauce and garnish with basil.