Quick Pickled Red Onions
recipe by Desirée ‘BlackstoneBetty’ Dukes
- 1-2 red onions, sliced or chopped
- 1 c water boiling
- ½ c white distilled vinegar
- ¾ c apple cider vinegar
- 6 sprigs of dill, torn of fresh (2 tbsp dried)
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 32 oz glass jar
- Cut enough red onions to fill the jar. Sliced or chopped whichever preferred.
- Bring water and vinegar to a boil. Salt and sugar may be added to dissolve in the boiling mixture or it can be added in layers when filling the jar.
- Layer and pack down tightly ⅓ onions and ⅓ of the seasonings, garlic, bay leaves and dill.
- Pour the boiling liquid to fill the jar and quickly seal and close tightly. Gently shake the jar. Set on the counter for 30 minutes to cook.
- Once cooked, enjoy!
Notes: store in the refrigerator 2-3 weeks. Add onions to tacos, nachos, sandwiches, pizzas, eggs and more!
Add in hot peppers or dried pepper flakes to add spice to the onions if desired.
Water to vinegar ratio can vary depending on how vinegary you enjoy them!