- Oct 06, 2022
Wake up to Aloha
Wake up to Aloha
Recipe by Michael Andres - 2022 Great Griddle Off Contestant
Time: 45 minutes
For the Pancakes:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 dragon fruit, puréed then strained.
- 1/2 cup Ube Hayala (bought at my local Asian market
For the Crème Anglaise:
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 (2-inch) piece vanilla bean, split
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Make the pancake batter. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Slowly mix in the buttermilk, milk, eggs, and butter. Mix until a slightly lumpy batter is formed.
- Divide the pancake batter evenly between 2 bowls. Add the dragon fruit purée to one bowl and the Ube Hayala to the other. Whisk the batters separately. You should have 2 very vibrant pancake batters.
- Prepare the Crème Anglaise. Combine milk and cream in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean than add bean. Bring milk mixture to simmer. Take off heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture. Return custard to saucepan. Stir over low heat until custard thickens about 5 minutes (do not boil). Strain sauce into bowl.
- Preheat Blackstone griddle to medium low pancakes. Spoon out the pancake batter 1/3 cup at a time, alternating between the two batters. Cook the pancakes until bubbles are formed at the top and the batter sets. Remove the pancakes from the griddle.
- To serve: Layer the pancakes by alternating between the pink dragon fruit cakes and the purple ube ones. Top with warm Crème Anglaise and serve immediately.