- Nov 09, 2020
Recipe by Desirée 'BlackstoneBetty' Dukes
- 1 lb Italian sausage, ground
- 1 lb pasta plus 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1-5 oz bag fresh spinach
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-15 oz pure pumpkin, pureed
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- handful fresh sage leaves
- 1 tsp sage, ground
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Cook 1 lb pasta and set aside and reserve 1 cup pasta water for sauce.
- On medium heat cook sausage, breaking apart to crumble sized pieces. Set aside or slide to part of the griddle with low or no heat.
- Drizzle about 1/2 tbsp olive oil on medium heat and add onions. Cook 3-5 minutes then divide onions in half adding some to the sausage and the rest continue to cook adding in the garlic cloves, smashing them first. Cook for one minute.
- In a blender or food processor add the onion and garlic mixture, cream, pumpkin, and mascarpone cheese to puree. (If your blender is large enough add in 1/2 cup of pasta water now if not you can add in later.)
- Return your sausage to medium heat, add crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper, and add the red peppers. toss to heat.
- Add butter to melt and toss in the spinach to cook down. Mix all ingredients and season with ground sage.
- Turn burners to low and mix in the pasta. Add the pumpkin cream sauce and toss to coat evenly.
- Burners can now be turned off, add in a little pasta water if needed to thin out sauce.
- Finish with parmesan cheese and fresh chopped sage leaves.
Note from the Chef: The perfect fall pasta! Fool your friends, no one will ever know there's pumpkin in the sauce!