Betty’s Italian Cutlets
Recipe by Desirée ‘Blackstone Betty’ Dukes
- 2-3 large boneless skinless Chicken Breast
- 4 Eggs
- 1 ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 c plain Bread crumbs
- 1 bunch flat leaf Parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Oil for frying, extra light tasting Olive Oil preferred
- Coarse Sea Salt, optional
- Slice each chicken breast into 4-6 pieces then using the flat side of a meat mallet flatten out each chunk of chicken pulling the mallet towards the outside. Repeat for each chicken breast. You should get 4-6 cutlets per chicken breast. Set them aside and set up your dredging station.
- Line up two shallow dishes or containers. In one add the eggs, a big handful of Parmesan cheese (about ½ - ¾ cup) and a handful of chopped parsley (about ¼ cup). Whisk together to combine, then and add the cutlets to the cheesy eggs. Note this step can be done ahead of time and cutlets in egg mixture can sit in the refrigerator until ready to use up to overnight or use immediately.
- In the second shallow bowl add bread crumbs, paprika, garlic and onion powder. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in a handful of cheese and chopped parsley.
- Remove one cutlet from the egg mixture and place in the bread crumb mixture flipping and patting bread crumbs onto the chicken until completely coated. Repeat with each cutlet.
- Allow the BLACKSTONE to heat to medium to medium low heat. Place a cooling rack on one side of the griddle or nearby.
- Using a BLACKSTONE squirt bottle filled with oil lightly squirt cooking area with a little oil and place cutlets into oil a few at a time, adding a small amount of more oil before each set of cutlets. Allow to cook 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip cutlets adding a light squirt of oil to allow cutlets to shallow fry evenly for another 3-4 minutes. Low and slow frying without rushing or burning breadcrumbs.
- Remove cutlets to rest as each one cooks onto a cooling rack immediately sprinkle cutlets with cheese and or coarse sea salt. Once all cutlets are fried, plate and enjoy!
Note: these old school cutlets will be perfectly imperfect in shape and the perfect size to serve as is or for sandwiches. Serve on a family style platter alone or alongside makings for sandwiches. Italian rolls, fresh mozzarella, vodka sauce, fresh basil and roasted peppers is one of our favorites!