CJ’s Hawaiian Roll Frito Bandito Chili Cheese Dog
Recipe by: CJ Frazier
- Hawaiian Rolls
- Hot Dogs (ball park length)
- Hormel Chili (can)
- Colby Jack Shredded Cheese
- Yellow Onion
- 2 Jalapeños
- Chili Cheese Fritos
- TD’s Brew & BBQ Sauce
- Unsalted Butter
- Pre Heat your Blackstone Griddle top in one zone to medium high and another zone to medium.
- In a small sauce pan add your canned chili and set off in the corner of your medium high zone. All we’re doing is warming at this point. Once it start to bubble turn your heat down to low to simmer. Now this next step is optional. I like to add just a little beer to thin out the chili. Not too much or it’ll be to watered down. Just enough to thin it out. Be sure to check occasionally and stir. This will help you to keep from anything burning on the bottom of your sauce pan.
- Add your hotdogs to the zone set on medium. This part really is up to you on how long you want to cook your dogs. If you like them with a lot of color cook longer, but no matter what be sure to roll them occasionally to cook on all sides.
- While your hot dogs are cooking you can cut up your yellow onion. I like to cut mine into a medium size julienne. I like a lot of onions so I will cut up one whole onion to serve 4. Next to your hotdogs add a little olive oil and your onions to cook. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and course black pepper and toss occasionally to cook and caramelize. This should take about 5 minutes total to cook and finish.
- While your dogs and onions are cooking let's prep our Hawaiian roll buns to be our hotdog buns. Open the package, and keeping them connected, break off three buns together. This will be your hotdog bun. It’s very important that you do this gently to keep them connected. With a bread knife, or serrated edge knife, you’re going to slice down one side of all three buns gently. You want to slice on the side of the buns, not the top. This is also part of the magic to make this hotdog bun creation work well. Make sure not to cut to far down or your buns will cut in half. Once you’ve got your buns cut add 2 tbsp of unsalted butter to the medium heat zone of your griddle. You’ll need to work around your dogs and onions for this. Rub the split side and unspilt side of your hotdog bun in the butter. You want to get butter on both sides and then toast on each of those sides till it’s a light golden brown.
- While your buns and other ingredients are finishing on the griddle you can chop up two jalapeños. I like the heat of the seeds so I leave them in. If you don’t want the heat you can cut out the pith and seeds. Set your diced jalapeños aside for garnish.
- Let’s start to assemble. Your buns should be lightly toasted and can be removed from the griddle. Gently open the bun and add a little shredded Colby jack cheese for the hotdog to sit on. Place one hotdog inside on top of the cheese. The heat from the bun and dog will start melting your cheese. Next you will add a drizzle of TD’s Original BBQ Sauce then your caramelized onions and a desired amount of your warm chili. Now to really make this childog shine you need Chili Cheese Fritos, it is called the Frito Bandito after all. Get a hand full of Fritos and crush them over the top of the cheese. Be generous with the fritos. The texture of the crunch and flavor is amazing! Then top it off with some more shredded cheese and your diced jalapeños and you’re ready to eat!