- Sep 04, 2020
Mini Beef Wellingtons
Mini Beef Wellingtons
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 packet puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Mix together ground beef, onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and egg in a large bowl. Place in a refrigerator covered for 1 hour or up to 24 hours to allow the flavors to come together.
- Preheat your griddle to medium.
- Divide the ground beef mix into about 8 portions, 2 oz each.
- Roll the portions into balls and place on the griddle. Using a spatula and parchment paper, lightly press down on the meatballs to flatten both the top and bottom slightly into a disc almost as tall as it is wide.
- Cook the ground beef for 2 minutes per side. Using tongs, sear the sides of the meatballs slightly. You can also rotate the meat along the side of your griddle to sear the sides.
- Place on a cooling rack and allow them to cool in the refrigerator.
- To assemble, follow the directions on the puff pastry box, allowing it to come to a malleable state. Usually 30 minutes at room temperature and the dough is thawed just enough to cut and fold.
- The key to the magic of puff pastry is keeping it very cold so do your best to work quickly and if your kitchen is warm, keep completed portions in the refrigerator.
- Cut the puff pastry into 4-inch squares or at least twice the size of the width of the meatball.
- Place the meatball in the center of the puff pastry square. Join all 4 corners of the puff pastry together on the top of the meatball, sealing to close and adhere them to one another.
- Seal any additional puff pastry around the meatball by crimping it together tightly using your fingers. Try to make a tightly sealed pastry shell around the meatball.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F or the recommended temperature on the puff pastry box.
- Mix together the egg and water to form an egg wash. Paint the egg wash on the top, bottom, and all sides of the pastry. This will promote browning in the air fryer.
- Keep the mini Wellingtons cold until cooking.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the air fryer basket. In batches, air fry the mini beef Wellingtons for 16-18 minutes or until the internal temperature is at least 140F and the pastry has puffed and is golden brown flipping once.
You can make this dish ahead of time up to the air fryer portion and keep the mini beef Wellington bites frozen until you are ready to serve. You can also make a 1 oz portion for delicious one-bite Wellingtons.
If you want to feel like an aristocrat without having to pay a king’s ransom, these Mini Beef Wellingtons are royally delicious. Using ground beef instead of filet mignon makes these Mini Beef Wellingtons easy to assemble and easy on the wallet. Delicious as an appetizer or a snack, break these out at your next event to treat your guest like kings and queens.