- Mar 30, 2018
Serves 6 Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 12 slices rye bread
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Olive oil, for the griddle
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Form ground beef into 6 4-ounce patties. Use something heavy or the bottom of the pot to smash the patties until they are ¼ -inch thick.
- Turn the griddle to medium low heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter, olive oil, and sliced onions to the griddle. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté onions for about 7 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce to the onions and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Transfer onions to a bowl and set aside.
- Turn the griddle to medium-high heat and add the burger patties. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook until done, then set aside while you assemble the sandwiches.
- Lay out all the bread slices. Add a slice of cheese, the burger patty, some caramelized onions and top with another slice of cheese. Spread the rest of the butter over the top and bottom of each sandwich.
- Turn the griddle down to medium low again and add the sandwiches to the griddle. Cook until both sides are toasted golden brown and serve.