- Mar 30, 2018
Pita Bread/ Flat Bread
Makes 8 pitas Time: 1 hour Difficulty: Intermediate
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup warm milk
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar, milk, water, salt, and olive oil. Ad flour to the liquid mixture. Mix with a large wooden spoon or by hand until the flour is incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured working surface and knead for 4-5 minutes until the dough becomes smooth.
- Brush the bowl with some olive oil and place the dough back in it. Cover the bowl with a towel, set aside in a warm place, and let it rise for about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to your working surface. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Drizzle a little olive oil on them and cover them with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough balls rest for 10 more minutes.
- Preheat your griddle to medium heat.
- Lightly oil your working surface. Place a dough ball on your working surface and flatten it with the palm of your hand. Then use a rolling pin, roll it out to a circle 6" to 8" in diameter.
- Carefully lay the pitas on the griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove them from the griddle and wrap them in a towel to keep them warm.